Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Admiring the Nearby Homes and Cabins

this is one of my favorites


One thing I love about the cabin is that I can walk anywhere I need to go.  The post office, grocery store, hardware store, library, and restaurants are all a very short distance from where I live.  It's nice not to need to use the car.  I love the exercise, and the scenery walking to town is exquisite. 

the mature trees and gingerbread detail give this one so much charm

I always admire the stone work on these cabins.  I love the contrast of it against the wood.  Everyone in this area has a fireplace or wood stove.  Even the restaurants usually have a roaring fire going.  It really adds to the atmosphere and makes you feel welcome.  Once home, I find that I  want to brew a fresh pot of coffee or tea,  lay on the couch, and stare at the dancing  flames.  The sound of the  crackling kindling  brings back childhood memories of Christmas to me.  My dad would always build us a fire.  It was something that we all enjoyed.  I kept it going.  

Lula is leading the way home

In just ten minutes, we are at some of the most gorgeous hiking trails in California.  It's a quick drive, and there's no traffic.  The other night I sped out here after it got dark.  I was the only car on the road for the entire time, once I had turned off the highway, towards the mountains.  I guess people go home after work, eat dinner, and stay indoors.  It's such a different feel from the hurried pace of the city.


I stumbled upon this community garden the other day.  It looks like it's very popular.  There are all kinds of different plants growing.  I noticed some grape vines.  From what I've seen, red apples and pears do very well here.  They get the chilling that they need.  How is your garden doing?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear, after they have been moderated. 

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing pictures of your new community! Looks amazing. We just pulled out all our veggie patch as snow was predicted was for yesterday. And last night, the snow did fall, though quite a bit less and so much of it melted today. Thankful we were able to get our veggies out in time. And bulbs planted for the Spring too. Productive day. Looking forward to your next photos! X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chy, It is. I'm glad you are enjoying the photos. They are fun to take. You sound very in tune with your garden.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely place. Do the cabins have names? If so, does yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, Some of them do. Mine used to have a sign that said, Deedee's Cabin. The seller took it with her. There is a large D on the chimney.

      Delete
  3. You have sold me on cabin life, it looks wonderful, I am really interested in seeing different style homes and how people chose to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful, Everyday Life. The homes are all so different. They really reflect individuality and creativity.

      Delete
  4. It looks very different from Los Angeles! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Bless. I love the contrast. Going back and forth really makes me appreciate the difference in the two places. I do love the amount of sunlight that I have indoors at the cottage.

      Delete
  5. Lula is quite adventuresome! The cabins look so nice and also so well-made! I wish I could walk everywhere. I grew up in a small town where we did; so when I married and moved away to a larger area and had to drive everywhere, it was hard to adjust to. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are, Andrea. I am so impressed with the craftsmanship. It feels comforting to be surrounded by wood, too. There's a certain charm to being able to walk everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. g'day!
    thoroughly enjoyed the tour of your new home & surroundings, your new cabin looks lovely & fully furnished? wow double bonus there! love the little kitchen.
    doesn't look like you have much of a yard but your found a community garden, so you'll be able to garden up there as well, maybe they do compost there too?
    did you say there are bears up there? something we don't have here, not even the dingoes are that dangerous but pigs can be, i guess ...
    so glad Lula is on the mend, she is looking well & looks like she's enjoying herself up at the cabin too; so glad things have turned out well up at your cabin.
    it looks to be a lovely little town, must agree with your coffee shop, the best cafes & restaurants are usually the ones owned & not part of a franchise :))
    lovely catch up on many missed posts,
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi selina, I have a huge yard. It's amazing. I've heard about the dingoes. I didn't realize you have wild pigs. Yes, Lula is very happy and enthusiastic. Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "D" for dancer maybe??? It looks like some of the cabin owners have taken a great deal of effort to make their homes look unique. I love that! It will be interesting to see the community garden in winter. We are starting to turn over the soil in our small winter garden right now. Summer garden gets a layer of bone meal, blood meal and chicken manure next month and will fester over the winter. It smells awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about them, Anita. They are all so different, and have so much personality. Your soil sounds like it will be very rich in nutrients. No wonder your garden does so well.

      Delete
  10. I love your new neighborhood. You should give your cabin a new name. :)

    What kind of tea do you prefer? Black tea, or herbal tea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I love it, too. What is the name of your house? I love herbal teas.

      Delete
  11. I have enjoyed your post so much and your cabin and the whole area looks beautiful. So different to where I live. It's always such fun exploring a new area isn't it and being able to walk to and fro is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, HRK,and welcome. Yes, walking around there is such a treat. It just takes my breath away. Thanks for reading the blog and for commenting.

      Delete
  12. What a pretty place Stephenie, those cabins really are something else. I love the top one!

    It is lovely to find a nice quiet spot to forget about the other busy life that is going on somewhere else. Your walk looks so pretty and the community garden takes my interest for sure. I love the sign.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the top cabin and the sign, too, Tania. There are lots of artistic types up in Wrightwood. I love how expressive all of the homes are.

      Delete
  13. Such charming places, Stephenie. I could wander happily for hours looking at old and interesting homes. So wonderful to have come across a community garden too! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Meg. There are so many of them up there. Lula and I walked on some new streets this morning. I was in awe of the beautiful cabins. They are art.

      Delete