Saturday, October 19, 2019

Had The Chimney Swept



Today the chimney sweep and his partner came to clean my chimney at the cabin.  They were so cute!  I was very impressed with their work.  They were a little dusty with the black chimney soot on their faces and hands.  It reminded me of the movie Mary Poppins.  That is one of my favorite dance numbers of all time,

 I didn't expect was that one of the chimney cleaners was a young woman.  She was so sweet.  She had actually been one of the waitresses at The Blue Ridge Inn when I went there for dinner last week.  It reminded me of when I was her age, and had several different jobs.  I paid them $10.00 extra as a thank you.  It's heart warming to see young people starting their own businesses, making excellent money, and becoming independent.

The chimney hadn't been cleaned for two years.  The seller hadn't been using the cabin, because her husband was sick.  The home inspector let me know that it definitely  needed to be done.  I'm glad I took care of it right away.  It feels good to tick off those jobs on your home maintenance list.  Apparently it was very dirty.  Not anymore!

I asked how often I should wait between cleanings, and he recommended having it done after burning  two cords of wood.  That's about how much  I have left in the wood pile, so I will keep track and then call him again.  Have you had your chimney swept recently?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to be moderated.              

15 comments:

  1. Our last house had a wood fireplace and we would get it cleaned every couple of years as we used it but not every day. In our new house, we have 2 fireplaces and both are gas so no cleaning required but we do have the gas guy coming in the next few weeks to check our gas stove and he'll check the fireplaces and the furnaces at the same time. I like to get this done in the Fall so we don't have to worry over the Winter.

    We do have an outdoor fireplace but we clean that out ourselves. Easy peasy.

    We hope to build on our little island one day and I would put a wood fireplace in there for every day warmth. All the neighbors here do this so we know it's a good way to heat tiny cottages.

    Loving your posts!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chy, I had a small wood stove in my guest house in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It was wonderful. It threw off an amazing amount of heat. I need to have my gas stove checked, too. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  2. It's good to know it's a job well done and you now know how regularly it needs to be swept. It's always wise to keep on top of these household tasks. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Jules. This was a first for me. It's such a luxury, having a large fireplace. I love the warmth and charm.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you are really settling into life in the cabin. Chimney sweeps are really making a come back now log burners are on trend. LOVE Mary Poppind but cringe at Dick Van Dykes accent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's wonderful up there in the mountains, Frugal in Essex. The dancing in Mary Poppins was magnificent. I just loved that movie.

      Delete
  4. No, but I need to. I'm so jealous of your cabin! It's absolutely charming :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rue, Oh thank you. I just love it. The surrounding area is stunning. I love your home, too. You have really put your heart and talent into it.

      Delete
    2. This home has a pretty stone chimney. I love how different all of the cabins are.

      Delete
  5. That's great that you got the chimney cleaned! I have a fire place in the living room, but, I've never used it! I'm too afraid that I'll set the whole house on fire! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bless! It's such a joy and comfort to have a fire. As long as you do the maintenance, and are careful, I think you'd really enjoy the ambience. They have safety screens. My dad taught me how to make a fire as a child. I just love them.

      Delete
  6. We have a gas fireplace so no need to clean the chimney. My dad used to have the same 2 chimney sweeps come by every year when he was burning lots of wood in his big fireplace in the den, but he doesn't have fires anymore which is sad. Not good for his COPD. There is nothing quite like the crackle of a wood fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that makes it easy for maintenance. Mine has gas to light it, but then I switch it off and let the wood burn. I love the combination. I love the crackle of a wood fire, too. It's just mesmerizing to sit and watch the flames.

      Delete
  7. I've never lived in place that had a fireplace.
    I love reading about your cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, We had one when I was a teenager. I just loved sitting in the living room and absorbing the natural heat. Our dog used to curl up in front of it and fall asleep. Now they aren't allowed to light fires in the fireplaces unless they call the county. (Well that's what my dad said.) I don't remember him ever having the chimney cleaned, and we did start having problems with that fireplace.

      Delete